Thank you to all of the caregivers who work tirelessly to do the best they can in one of the toughest jobs there is. November is #NationalFamilyCaregivers Month; a time to recognize and honor family caregivers across the country. The Family Caregiver Support Program at HESSCO has been created to assist these informal caregivers who are caring for a loved one and looking for resources, answers, direction, or emotional support.
There is no charge for services from the Family Caregiver Support Program, and there are no income eligibility requirements for this program.
#GivingTuesday is three weeks away. Held annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the holiday giving season and inspires people to give back in impactful ways to the nonprofits and causes they support. Among many things, your donation will help us to serve more family caregivers through our Family Caregiver Support Program.
This year’s #NationalFamilyCaregivers Month theme is “Supercharge Your Caregiving.” Below are 10 techniques from the Caregiver Action Network (CAN) you can employ to support yourself in your journey.
- Seek support from other caregivers. You are not alone!
- Take care of your own healthso that you can be strong enough to take care of your loved one.
- Accept offers of helpand suggest specific things people can do to help you.
- Learn how to communicate effectivelywith doctors.
- Caregiving is hard work so take respite breaks
- Watch out for signs of depressionand don’t delay getting professional help when you need it.
- Be open to new technologiesthat can help you care for your loved one.
- Organize medical informationso it’s up to date and easy to find.
- Make sure legal documents are in order.
- Give yourself credit for doing the best you can in one of the toughest jobs there is!