We’ve become conditioned to changing the batteries in our smoke and CO2 detectors twice a year when we change the clocks for Daylight Savings Time. Perhaps we could also get in the habit of refreshing our “Emergency Kits” at the same time? Everyone should have such a kit to be prepared in the face of an emergency. New England is in the midst of peak hurricane season, and winter is right around the corner. Below is a helpful Emergency Kit Checklist:
1. Three days of nonperishable/ non-cook food, water (1 gallon per day per person), and medication.
2. Flashlight, battery operated radio, extra batteries
3. First aid kit, cash, cell phone and charger
4. ID cards, information (Dr., meds, allergies), family/friends contacts, Health Care Proxy, toothbrush/toothpaste, blanket and washcloth
5. Clothes and baby or pet supplies if you need them